When a white teenager named Steve Lohner was stopped by the police last month and refused to show his ID after carrying a loaded shotgun on the streets of Aurora, Colorado (the same city where a mass murderer killed 12 people and injured 70 others in a packed movie theater in July 2012), the teen walked away with nothing but a citation.
But when a 22-year-old black kid named John Crawford picked up a mere BB gun in a Walmart store in Dayton, Ohio last week, customers called the police, who then shot and killed him.
Here lies a racial disparity that’s difficult for honest people to ignore. How can black people openly carry a real gun when we can’t even pick up a BB gun in a store without arousing suspicion? The answer in America is that the Second Amendment doesn’t really apply to black people."
Keith Boykin, "Does the Second Amendment Only Apply to White People?" (via holygoddamnshitballs)
True, anyone who’s been paying attention knows this. The only time you can get gun control passed in this country is when politicians start seeing POC walking around freely with guns.
I rarely see this mentioned so I wonder if people just don’t realize what a national travesty Mt. Rushmore is.
The Black Hills is sacred land to the Oglala Lakota tribe. The Oglala Lakota used to own that land through a treaty with the U.S. I mean, it was their land pre-white-colonization, but then the US started to colonize it and later gave the Black Hills back to them through the Treaty of 1868. Once gold was found on the land, however, prospectors migrated and set up shop in the 1870s. The government took back the Black Hills land, because of the gold. In 1927, Mount Rushmore was constructed into the hills.
In simple terms: the colonizers stole the Oglala Lakota’s land, “gave” it back, found out it had capitalistic value, took it again, and then carved their own leader’s crinkley-ass white fucking faces into the mountains that were considered to be sacred, like do you realize how fucking MONSTROUS that is????
Anonymous said: I'm a little confused (I haven't slept in over 24hrs - I might just be too tired) the grand jury has until January to decide if they will CHARGE Darren Wilson, not CONVICT? Or they have until January to convict? Please tell me it's convict. Because regardless of your 'views' on his guilt, he needs to be charged and then a jury should decide on his guilt if he doesn't take a plea deal. Charging is a no brainer, he killed someone and it needs a criminal investigation.
The grand jury now has until January 7, 2015 to decide whether or not to charge Darren Wilson with the murder of Mike Brown. They can make a decision soon than that though.
Here’s some more info on the grand jury:
- Grand jury will begin hearing evidence on Aug. 20 in murder of Mike Brown. Darren wilson will have opportunity to testify (x)
- Grand jury might not hear all evidence until mid-October
- Possible outcomes from Grand Jury and DOJ investigation
- The grand jury in the killing of Mike Brown is only meeting once a week and are being treated as co-investigators. Also, legal experts say it’s unlikely that Darren Wilson will be charged with 1st degree murder. 2nd degree murder is possible but also unlikely if he argues that he feared for his life.
- A look at Prosecutor Bob McCulloch. McCulloch has presented 4 cases of a fatal police shooting to a grand jury. 0 indictments. McCulloch’s office also doesn’t keep detailed records. He also defended calling 2 black men shot by cops in 2000 “bums”.
- A Grand Jury Primer (storify)
- Bob McCulloch is VP of an organization that supports Darren Wilson? (x) McCulloch also won’t recommend charges against Darren Wilson to the grand jury. This is why a special prosecutor is needed.
- STL grand jury weighs charges in Ferguson shooting
- Grand jury now has until JANUARY to decide whether to charge Darren Wilson (x) (x) (x) (x)
I love how Steve says this, his tone I mean.
It’s not a confession pulled out of him. It’s not him revealing a secret. No, it’s him just stating a fact.
The sky is blue.
Grass is green.
The earth revolves around the sun.
Even when I had nothing I had Bucky.
His relationship with Bucky, it’s part of his base code, his DNA, the core of his existence, and nothing has or ever will change that.
Steve Rogers has blonde hair, blue eyes, and even when he had nothing he had Bucky.